Saturday 28 September 2013

Day 19 - Friday 27/09/2013 York

We had a cooked English breakfast, yum, and then caught the bus to York - it's only a 10 minute journey usually, but due to roadworks, we take a different, slightly longer route.

The Shambles, York

So many things to do and see that we don't know where to start. At the moment there is the York Food and Drink Festival, so we wander through the stalls, looking at the local produce. I buy a small pork pie - something I've always wanted to try, and will eat it later. There are lots of tempting foods including Arbroath smokies, Scottish salmon, huge hog roasts, Wensleydale cheese amongst others, Yorkshire sausages (more than a foot long), fudge and cupcakes, wines and beers, etc. etc. etc. lots of tempting aromas.

The York Minster - part thereof

The market led us to my favourite part of York, the Shambles. We scour the shops, looking for a particular duck ornament, without success unfortunately, but enjoyed the shops and atmosphere along he way.

York Minster from Starbuck's

STS enjoys a milkshake at a chocolate shop, and we continue on to the York Minster. Still an impressive structure, but it's difficult to get it all in a photo!

Stonegate, close to the teddy bear shop

A coffee and hot chocolate at Starbuck's gave me a toilet opportunity. There are not many decent public toilets in York - my only grumble.

Interesting buildings, York

Down the road I found a teddy bear shop, and bought a Merrythought teddy - to keep my Steiff company on the way home. I asked if they would be interested in looking at my bears, with a view to selling them in their shop, and they suggested I contact them with more information, and go from there. This could be a good opportunity for me.

On the Roman wall

Our next stop is the sportswear shop, but unfortunately they don't keep any West Ham shirts (for FTS - first teenage son). Apparently we are too far north for London teams, although they did have Chelsea and Arsenal shirts. We'll have to look elsewhere.

Up and down the steps

Sausage rolls for lunch - 4 for a pound - and then to the Yorvik viking centre. It's an interesting display and lots of fascinating information that has been gleaned from the remains that have been unearthed.

We had another look at the markets, and headed to the roman wall for a walk along the top.

View near our bus stop

My feet are playing up again, so we catch the bus back to the hotel, have a nice meal, and a wine or two, at the pub, and then back to our room for some blogging.

MOH sends a message to his brother - GO HAWKS! for Saturday. We're trying to find out how he will be able to watch the game, which will be at about 6:00am local time.

Since writing this post we have found out from MOH's brother, that Hawthorn actually won the AFL Grand Final for 2013!

Bloody Ripper! - from MOH

 

2 comments:

Annette Bowes said...

FANTASTIC photos Jan!! Just how I remember it! Lovely to see blue sky to. Shame about our little duckling but at least I have one lol! Looking forward to seeing your latest teddy additions and sounds like a wonderful opportunity for selling your bears, just wondering when you will have the time to make them lol! Safe travels and catch up soon. I wanted Freemantle liked the colour of the shirts lol! Take careX:)

Jan Was said...

Thanks Annette, you know me too well, especially about the 'time' issue. Don't forget, I'm not studying any more!!!!
MOH's more partial to the brown and gold jumpers, and very pleased with his team. Last time they won the Grand Final, I was in England too, so I think if they want to win again they'd better buy me another ticket!!! We've looked everywhere for ducks, but found nothing as detailed and small as yours. No nice rabbits either. See you soon, Jan